Monday, October 24, 2016
Pat Navis – Welcome
New Board members replacing:
– Barb Schippa/Secretary nominates Sally Zenas to replace her for a 2 year term
– Vicky Gray/Treasurer nominates Becky Baumgartner/Stevens to replace her for a 2 year term
– Janet Haines/Webmaster – renew mid-term
– All three were approved by unanimous vote
– Volunteer photographers – nothing fancy, anyone with a smart phone –Ann Prins and Kathy Rycenga will work together to cover our events.
– Article III – membership
– Article IV – officers
– Both were reviewed, proposed, 2nd, and approved by unanimous vote
Refreshment – please sign up if your birthday falls in November/December
Holland Police Department Victim’s Advocates Group Charity Project needs:
– Various age group (youth to older adult) quilt tops, minimum 40”x60” to larger
– Cash donation to purchase batting
– Anyone willing to machine quilt (long arm or regular machine) or bind
SAVE THE DATE/IQF Chicago bus trip Saturday, April 8, 2017 – Oh My!!!!
Monday, November 28, 2016 – “Working with Wool” hands on wool project.
– 6:00-9:00 PM at the Beechwood Lodge
– Sign up tonight for the kit you want
– Bring basic sewing supplies, chenille needles and size 8 or 12 pearl cotton, or wool thread in colors to coordinate with your kit selection
Monday, December 26, 2016 – Merry Christmas! No meeting….
Monday, January 23, 2017 – Sew In/UFO? from last year, get them done!
Monday, February 27, 2017 – Iris Folding program
Monday, March 27, 2017 – Frieda Anderson program/workshop (workshop fee $50+kit tbd$)
DEBBIE GRIFKA/ESCH HOUSE QUILTS – Big Red Quilters Guild is pleased to welcome DEBBIE GRIFKA from Ann Arbor, Michigan (www.eschhousequilts.com) as our speaker. A lifelong sewist and maker, Debbie began quilting in 2002, finding inspiration in works of Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr, Gwen Marsten, and Jacquie Gering and others in the modern quilt world. Debbie immediately found her way to her local Modern Quilt Guild, where she served as President. Debbie describes her style as graphic, modern minimalism, making quilts with clean lines and bold shapes as her focus…whether the colors are deep and intense or low contrast neutrals, whether pieced or applique. Debbie’s work has been displayed at QuiltCon, Paducah/AQS, and House Quilt Festival and featured in various books and magazines. Her first book LINES BY DESIGN QUILTS was published in 2016. Having found her voice in the modern quilt movement, she shares her love of quilting thru lectures and workshops, and is an avid member of the fast growing modern quilt movement online thru many sources such as Instagram and Facebook. We were treated to an overview of her quilting journey on line and samples of her work follows:
Raffle drawings went to:
Barb Bredemeier – Special thread from Smith-Owens
Peggy Claire – Fat Quarters from Debbie Grifka
Barb Schippa – Pattern from Debbie Grifka
Esther Tilton – tool
Pat thanked everyone and dismissed us about 9:00 PM, followed by tear down and clean up
Big Red Quilters Guild Secretary (signing off……)