Hello and Happy New Year to each of you! We wanted to share reminders, notes and updates to get your Guild Year started! So settle in for a bit of a read and keep this email handy!
Sew-In January 20, 2020. We’re kicking off 2020 with a Guild Sew-In Monday, January 20, 6:30 pm at the Beechwood Church Lodge!
- Bring your own project, hand or machine, or work on preparing quilt kits for charity.
- Our Charity Quilts committee will have patterns and materials (freshly sorted and updated!) available.
- Vicki Potgeter from Project Linus will tell us more about this program, beginning at 7 pm.
- The Guild will be working with Project Linus to bring quilts to seriously ill and traumatized children, ages 0-18 years. All types of blankets are welcome: quilts, tied comforters, fleece blankets, crochet or knitted afghans and receiving blankets.
- For Children: 36” x 36” to 40” x 40″
- For Teens: 40” x 60” and 60” x 70”
- We will continue to work with Manasseh Project through Wedgewood Christian Services to aid the rescued teens from human trafficking. 20 to 25 quilts needed per year.
- Size: 48” x 60” (or larger).
February 17 meeting information. On Monday, February 17, we will meet in the Great Room at Beechwood Church for refreshments at 6:30 followed by our program, “Artists Among Us”. This program features quilters from our Guild who will share a selection of their quilts and the stories behind them! It promises to be an engaging and inspiring program, and gives us the chance to get to know each other better!
- Block of Every Other Month Guild Challenge. Participants continue their hard work on this project, with the next block due at the February 17 meeting. Don’t forget to bring your completed blocks to the Meeting for the drawing! Website link is: https://bigredquiltersguild.org/block-of-every-other-month-guild-challenge/ which will have the link to the Moda block posted shortly after each meeting.
Tulip Time Quilt Show. Note the entry form deadline of Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Visit https://www.tuliptime.com for more information about all things Tulip Time!
March meeting information – On Monday, March 23, we will again meet in the Great Room at Beechwood Church for a program featuring Deborah Richmond, with a lecture, “Best Quilters’ Tools and Gadgets”. Deborah runs the Quilted Turtle online quilt shop, personally testing and approving each product included in the shop, relying on her 30 years of quilting experience to share tools designed to make your quilting easier and faster! This program should be a thought starter as we all try to make the most of every quilting moment!
BRQG Quilt Retreat info, March 24-26. – To continue a week of All-Things-Quilt, the Guild retreat will be held at Tiara Yachts Corporate Center March 24-26, 2020. There are three spaces left for those who are hand sewing. Please email email@example.com if you would like one of these hand sewing spots or want to be placed on the retreat waiting list for machine sewers.
Tiled Backgrounds Workshop, April 28. Spaces are available! We will have registration available for the class, “Tiled Backgrounds Gloria Loughman Style” scheduled for April 28, 10-4 pm. Barb Bredemeier and Janet Haines will lead this workshop. For more information, visit https://bigredquiltersguildorg.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/tiled-background-class-brqg-april-2020.pdf
Inclement weather reminder – If West Ottawa schools are closed for inclement weather during the winter months, all activities at Beechwood Church are cancelled.
NOTE: You can help yourself to a full bolt of great information at our website, https://bigredquiltersguild.org ! You’ll find Guild news and information. You will need the password for the Members page (which includes our membership list and contact information). That Password is brqgmembers.
We look forward to seeing everyone soon!