The members of BRQG met at Beechwood Church on August 27, 2018.
President, Barb Bredemeier, called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.
After welcoming new members and visitors, the following announcements were made:
1. MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL: As an incentive to pay annual dues early, those paying dues before October 1 will have an opportunity to be the recipient of a gift basket put together by board members. One name will be chosen at the October 22 meeting.
2. REFRESHMENT SIGNUP: There is a signup sheet at the refreshment window at all meetings for those willing to provide a snack for future meetings. Thanks to all who are doing this.
3. CHARITY QUILTS: Yellow sheets are now available with charity quilt guidelines. There is a table with available fabrics for these quilts at all meetings. If you like to sew and don’t need any more quilts, please consider helping with this project.
4. SURVEY: Barb Bredemeier, President, thanked members for participating in the survey. She said several members expressed an interest in becoming part of a small sewing group (Bee). There will be an opportunity to learn more about this and hopefully setting up a couple of groups, before the October 22 nd meeting. Those interested, please arrive October 22 at 6:30.
5. T-SHIRTS: The first ever BRQG T Shirt sale was very successful. Another sale will be held in September, and both long sleeved shirts and sweatshirts will be available for fall.
6. QUILT RETREAT: A day time retreat is being planned for March 26-28. Mark your calendars now. There will be a daily fee, some meals will be included and you will go home to sleep. More details will be forthcoming.
7. SEPTEMBER GIFT BOUTIQUE: Betsy Muir, Vice President, announced plans for the Sew-In/Gift Boutique to be held September 24 th at 6:30 pm. She is seeking donations which can be dropped off at the church any time after 1:00 on the 24 th or to Betsy any time before. All proceeds will go to the guild to pay for speakers. Guests are welcome. There will be door prizes every 15 minutes. Call Betsy (847-507-4305) if you have questions. Cash or checks only.
Barb Sucher, Program co-Chair, introduced guest speaker, Bill Kerr of Modern Quilt Studio, Oak Park, Il. Following a rousing welcome with all singing Happy Birthday, Dear Bill, he gave an inspiring lecture on Color in a Supporting Role. Bill explained his approach to color selection and passed around many beautiful quilts made by him and his wife, Weeks Ringle. The next day Bill gave a workshop addressing color value and piecing curves. Thanks to Ann Prins, photos will be available on the website and
Following Show and Tell and door prizes, the meeting was adjourned at 8:50 pm.
Sally Zenas, Secretary